Friday, December 16, 2005


Whoever said that Christmas in New York is a wonderful thing must have been the crackhead on the corner. People are shove-y, there was almost a transit strike (actually, there still might be) and shopping for presents, while wonderful, is exhausting. I'm considering getting everyone The Nightmare Before Christmas next year. EVERYONE.

But here's why I love the holidays:

1. It's almost always a white Christmas in Toronto. I think I'll always feel like a little kid, getting up early and running to the window to see the snow. This year my cigarette butts won't be littering the snow.
2. We usually go to see a movie with the whole family every Christmas, this time is Syriana I think. I love the fact that our movie choices have nothing to do with Christmas cheer.
3. I get to see my friends back home and sleep over in Anne's guest bedroom and she always puts flannel penguin sheets on the bed. HEART!
4. This year I get to meet Patti's baby and see her menagerie...oh and see Sault Ste. Marie for the first time. Somehow that's less thrilling than seeing the new family...
5. Our house always has blue Chanukah lights and since the majority of my neighbourhood is of non-Caucasian heritage, no one cares or thinks it's weird.
6. My mom gets more excited about Christmas than we do.
7. My mom always puts money in our stockings and tell us not to tell our dad.
8. I'm 30 and I still get a stocking.
9. My mom has great taste in sweaters and I always score...
10. My dad still does the, "I have to shower and eat breakfast first before we open our presents" charade, I guess the best thing about Christmas is the continuity and sense of tradition and family. Cheesetastic! but true.
11. We always have appam and chicken curry for breakfast...since I had leftover sushi for breakfast this morning, it'll be nice to have homecooked meals.

Sadnesses:

1. New Year's Eve always sucks.
2. My cat will be here and lonely.
3. A lot of people commit suicide.

So, happy holidays, loyal readership. I'll see all 4 of you back home. Chanukah rocks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I already own the nightmare before x-mas.

Flushy McBucketpants said...

I hope there's a sequel...The Nightmare Before Channuka. I might involve some dead Macabees coming to life and scaring the shit out of some of the Zionist assholes in Israel...